Great Artist Music Series
A brilliant young virtuoso of the classical guitar, Celil Refik Kaya brings flair and refinement to a program of Spanish, South American, and Eastern music. One of two three-time prizewinners of the Guitar Foundation of America International Guitar Competition, Kaya is the youngest First Prize Winner of the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition, and a recording artist with Naxos Record label. Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra conductor JoAnn Falletta commends Mr. Kaya as “a superb musician in every sense”. American Record Guide has called his performances “just perfect”, and numerous critiques from around the world applaud Mr. Kaya’s playing as being “seemingly effortless”.
Born in Istanbul, Turkey, Kaya began his interest in classical guitar at the age of six with his father, Dr. Mehmet Refik Kaya. When he was 19, Kaya earned his Bachelor Degree of Music from the Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University State Conservatory with the Highest Honor Degree in Istanbul, and was granted the “Excellence” Scholarship from the Turkish Educational Foundation. Mr. Kaya expanded his worldwide notice throughout the time he pursued his Masters Degree of Music at Mannes College of Music at The New School in New York City. Kaya records on the Naxos label.
Join us for the pre-concert talk at 6:45 pm with renowned classical guitarist, teacher and producer Norbert Kraft. A true insider’s glimpse into the world of the guitar! Thank you to our Fortissimo! donors for making these pre-concert talks possible.
“It’s 20 years since John Williams’ spellbinding version [of Koyunbaba] came out; Kaya’s assured rendering certainly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.” –Blair Jackson, Classical Guitar Magazine
6:45 pm | Pre-concert talk by Norbert Kraft
7:30 pm | Concert** Note the earlier concert start time
The Fine Print
- NEW! Tickets and subscriptions are now available online at auroraculturalcentre.ca (starting in July), or at the Box Office during business hours.
- Subscriptions are now on sale: individual concerts go on sale starting September 3, 2019 at 10 am
- HST is included in all ticket and subscription prices.
- Ways to Save: Our subscription series packages offer the best option to save on your concert purchase. Visit here to discover your subscription options.
- All patrons require a ticket, regardless of age.
- All tickets are final sale; no refund or exchange is available.
- CDs available for cash sale at most Brevik Hall Presents shows.
- The Aurora Cultural Centre is accessible, with an elevator entrance at the north glass doors. Brevik Hall is located on the second floor; there are 2 accessible washrooms on the main and 2nd floor, as well as on the lower level.