To best enjoy the Photo Gallery:
- Due to the size of the collection, the art has been organized in three sections. Click the buttons below to see each section
- Click the thumbnail image to enlarge the image and to see the label information
- Use the arrows on either side of the enlarged image to scroll through the gallery
- To view as a slideshow, click the play button in the top right hand corner
- For the best viewing experience, we recommend using a desktop computer and Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser
My work explores the notion that the final element completing a work of art is the viewer. The artworks feature beautifully intricately cut and layered forms, refraining from any direct reference and yet feeling ingrained with familiarity and meaning. The juxtaposition of organic and symmetrical forms manipulated through technology, my own hand and the use of both traditional and commercial materials creates ambiguous, enticing & eerie forms reminiscent of Rorschach blots. Ultimately the viewers interpretation imbues the work of art with emotion and meaning.
The process of my work is as equally important as the content. I let the work reveal itself through the natural progression of experimentation. I am always reworking and transitioning the work over time until it grows. This continuously reprocessing, reworking, reimagining means this work will never be complete. The pieces of art become a part of an ever-changing and growing body of work.
Emily Carriere resides in Toronto where she works as an artist. She creates intricate cut out vinyl and acrylic artworks. She works intuitively, letting the process take over, which allows the work to reveal itself through the natural progression of experimentation. The results are abstract images which can be interpreted an endless variety of ways depending on the viewers experiences, memories, and histories.