April 5, 2018
Job Posting – Summer Art Camp Coordinator
The Aurora Cultural Centre is a vibrant, multidisciplinary arts organization located in the heart of York Region. Our mandate is to engage and inspire our community with a diverse range of visual art, music, and educational programs.
The Aurora Cultural Centre is currently seeking a Summer Art Camp Coordinator (SACC). This is the lead position in the promotion, planning, and delivery of the Centre’s arts-based summer camps for children aged 4-12. The SACC will supervise a team of two Summer Art Camp Senior Counsellors and a Summer Art Camp Junior Counsellor in the successful delivery of our Summer Art Camp programs. This position requires administrative skills, artistic skills, hands-on instruction skills, and leadership skills. This is an ideal position for an art or education student at the college or university level who has experience working with children and is enthusiastic about working with young people and the arts.
In addition to full-time hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm) beginning June 4 and ending August 25, the SACC will also need to be available May 12, May 26, June 9, June 23, and July 7 from 8:00 am-1:00 pm to lead promotional activities for the Summer Art Camp at the Aurora Farmer’s Market. They will also be required to work June 3 and July 1 for the Aurora Chamber of Commerce Street Festival and the Town of Aurora’s Canada Day Festivities, respectively, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm.
The successful candidate is required to have Emergency First Aid and CPR – C Certification. AED training is considered an asset. He/she will also be required to submit a Vulnerable Sector Screening from the York Regional Police in accordance with our policy for Centre staff working with children under the age of sixteen. Knowledge of MS Office Suite is required for creation of camp templates, weekly newsletters, reports, and other communications as necessary. A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is considered a strong asset. The candidate must further be an energetic individual, with an ability to participate in the physical tasks required by the job (some lifting/carrying of art supplies, moving tables and chairs as needed, transport of supplies to various spaces, hanging artwork, and general movement required of hands-on arts instruction). The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational and communication skills and be able to demonstrate the maturity and creativity that will allow them to excel in this role.
The wage offered is $17.50/hour. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, April 25. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Aurora Cultural Centre supports, advocates for and encourages applications from a diverse workforce.
Aurora Cultural Centre requires that candidates for this position:
- are able to work full-time (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm) beginning June 4 and ending August 25, as well as available the following dates:
- May 12, May 26, June 9, June 23, and July 7, from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm, and
- June 3 and July 1, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible;
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are registered in the YCW online candidate inventory.
- are between 15* and 30 years of age at the start of employment (*where permissible under provincial/territorial labour laws).
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week)
- have registered as a full-time* student in the semester preceding the YCW job (*as defined by their educational institution);
- intend to return to full-time studies* in the semester immediately following this work term.
How to Apply – please read carefully:
This position is open to any student who meets the criteria listed in the bullet points above.
Candidates must apply for this position though the Young Canada Works website at young-canada-works.canada.ca
Once you have created a free student candidate account profile using the link above, candidates can then find this position by using the “Search for a job” tab. Use the location filter to easily find the job by typing in “Aurora” in the City box and selecting Ontario in the Province dropdown menu. The position will be listed as the Summer Art Camp Coordinator at the Aurora Cultural Centre.
*Please note that the above online application process is the only way to apply for this position. *
For questions regarding this position or any of its requirements, please contact:
Leanne DiMonte, Education & Visitor Services Coordinator