Great Artist Music Series
The Aurora Cultural Centre is thrilled to celebrate our 10th anniversary with a very special concert featuring internationally-acclaimed pianist Janina Fialkowska.
Beloved the world over for her exquisite pianism, Janina Fialkowska has enchanted audiences for over forty years with her glorious lyrical sound, her sterling musicianship and her profound sense of musical integrity. Celebrated for her interpretations of the classical and romantic repertoire, she is particularly distinguished as one of the great interpreters of the piano works of Chopin and Mozart.
Her career was launched in 1974, when the legendary Arthur Rubinstein became her mentor after her prize-winning performance at his inaugural Master Piano Competition, calling her a “born Chopin interpreter” laying the foundation for her lifelong identification with this composer. Since then she has performed with the foremost orchestras worldwide under the baton of such conductors as Zubin Mehta, Bernard Haitink and Lorin Maazel, adn created a discography that includes many award-winning discs, including the BBC Music Magazine’s 2013 Instrumental CD of the Year award as well as a Juno Award in 2018.
An Officer of the Order of Canada and recipient of the 2012 Governor General’s Lifetime Achievement Award in Classical Music, Ms. Fialkowska is currently preparing a new recording of French piano music that will appear in October 2019 on the ATMA Classique label. Join us for a celebration that has been a decade in the making.
6:45 pm | Pre-concert talk by Rick Philips (CBC Radio’s Sound Advice)
7:30 pm | Concert** Note the earlier concert start time
A world of classical music at your doorstep
The Great Artist Music Series offers 4 concert experiences spanning guitar, piano and small group ensembles. Enjoy the pre-concert talk prior to every performance – offered at no extra charge – to enhance the program. The Great Artist Music Series presents 4 concerts for the low price of $112 (HST included) – a 20% savings over the regular ticket price.
- Celil Refik Kaya, guitar | November 8, 2019
- Janina Fialkowska, piano | February 21, 2020
- Payadora Tango Ensemble | April 3, 2020
- Cameron Crozman & Philip Chiu, cello & piano | May 1, 2020
The Fine Print
- NEW! Tickets and subscriptions are now available online at auroraculturalcentre.ca (starting in July), or at the Box Office during business hours.
- Subscriptions are now on sale: individual concerts go on sale starting September 3, 2019 at 10 am
- HST is included in all ticket and subscription prices.
- Ways to Save: Our subscription series packages offer the best option to save on your concert purchase. Visit here to discover your subscription options.
- All patrons require a ticket, regardless of age.
- All tickets are final sale; no refund or exchange is available.
- CDs available for cash sale at most Brevik Hall Presents shows.
- The Aurora Cultural Centre is accessible, with an elevator entrance at the north glass doors. Brevik Hall is located on the second floor; there are 2 accessible washrooms on the main and 2nd floor, as well as on the lower level.